Tips for a Healthy Halloween
As a registered dietitian, I’m often advising parents on a healthy approach to dealing with holidays that are filled with candy and treats. Parents are often concerned about the quanity of treats that their children often receive during these celebratory events. It’s important to set a good example which includes demonstrating how treats can be incorporated into a healthy lifestyle. I’ve included a few tips on how to handle halloween and provided my favorite sweet and savory snack options for the fall.
Tips for a Healthy Halloween:
- Incorporate candy after a balanced meal.
- Keep favorite treats and donate the rest.
- Store candy out-of-sight.
- Consider buying other nourishing treats to provide other options at home during the holiday season.
- Focus on making healthy choices & not weight when discussing food with children.
Suggestions for Sweet & Savory Snacks:
- Seasoned popcorn or kettlecorn
- Flavored dry-roasted chickpeas
- Trail Mix
- Seasoned Pumpkin Seeds
- Baked apples
- Apple slices and caramel yogurt dip
- Apple Nachos
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Chocolate Dipped Orange Slices
- Yogurt with Pumpkin Granola